Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Technotrans beta.c

I was called into look at the Technotrans beta.c unit that cools water for our Manroland sheet fed press. I was told that the water temps were too high and that they had reset the high pressure switch on the compressor, but were not sure if it had helped. I went outside to make sure that the condenser fan was working like it should, which it was. The compressor was cycling on and off over, maybe a 30-40 min period (not short cycling). I put the refrigeration gauges on and checked the pressure. The pressure was well below the limit of the high pressure cutoff switch.

Time to call the tech.
I call Technotrans and explain the problem. The tech wants the serial number so as I am looking for it, opening doors, I see another compressor. He says, yes the smaller compressor on the left is the one that cools the chill water. I pushed the red reset button, and what do you know, it comes on and starts cooling the water. The tech tells me that I should check the pressure  on this one as well. If the pressure is in the 250-270 range then there is an oriface that needs to be cleaned. I measured the pressure and it was in the 200 psi range which is good.
This is the compressor that was tripped, and the on that controls the chill water

To the left of the brass 90 degree elbow is the orafice that would have needed cleaning.
So, call that tech, it is what they are there for. I wanted to get all the information about the problem before calling, but I was getting information about the wrong compressor.

No comments:

Post a Comment